Monday, January 26, 2009

Lately

In the last couple of months I have been asked about peace, almost as if I have some clearer understanding of it due to the fact that I write about it. Maybe that’s all it takes, just living it out, to become an expert. Regardless, I still get asked and when it comes up I am learning refined answers not because of who is asking but because I have written so much.

Condensing this thought seems fair, especially in light of the thousands of words that flowed from my computer that are in relation to this subject. Before condensing a topic like this however it is fair to say that doing so is not an easy task. My basis for this ongoing dissemination of peace has been nothing short of God breathed in my opinion. I have pulled from countless scriptures, books and quotes. Mostly I have culled the red letter of the Bible to find Jesus’ own thoughts on this very issue.

Answering the question of why I believe that peace is possible is easy; proceeding to tell someone that they too could live this way is a whole other problem. My faith has been tested here, it has been proved here and it has flourished here. My walk feels more like a walk finally, like maybe I have the ability to keep up. I know that God is still leading me and I know there may be times that God carries me, but my understanding of what and why I believe are having a profound impact on me. My outward expressions are growing and as they do, my very opinions about peace are becoming a part of my mainstream discussions.

Believing that peace is possible is not the first question. First you must ask yourself; how big is my God? If you don’t think peace is possible in your sphere of influence then you put limits on God in your life. If God is not big enough to bring peace in your own life, then you need to question your very faith in Him. That is a discussion for another time.

The results of conflict are seen every day, we do not have to look far to see their wide reaching results. The results of peace are also seen every day but they are not mentioned nor spoken of in the same way. Your actions as they pertain to your sphere of influence are the source for discussion all the time. Where there is conflict there is also gossip and talk relating to outcomes from conflict, regardless of the scale we are talking about here. Where there is peace there is room for discussion about so many other things. Where there is peace there is space for positive energy and progress. Nothing bad ever comes from peaceful times.

Today we need to start with bringing peace into our everyday lives, our daily commutes, our encounters with our neighbors and mostly our lives at home. At best you have 12 people (your sphere of influence) you see everyday on a daily basis that you can honestly say you know more than just their names. They might include a spouse, children, parents, coworkers and friends. Think about the 12 people in your life and really contemplate what you are doing right now to bring peace in your everyday life.

The law “every action has an equal and opposite reaction” is based on two things moving and being involved. This law is based on physics, gravity and inertia, but most commonly it is a law that is best witnessed by watching two people interact. When one person pushes, the other pushes back. In the same way, when two people are in conflict with each other, one person acts and the other person reacts in a similar but usually opposite manner. In order to seek peace, one must look closely at the first act committed and examine the why.

Take the time to think through your interactions with those in your sphere and discover if you are truly interested in peace or conflict. I truly believe that we all want peace but we just don’t know where to start. Start today by acting in a peaceful way towards everyone around you. You will know the difference you make in an instant. You will feel the difference even quicker.

My life is not mine, and yet it is mine to live for Him. Peace to you all.

D

No comments: