Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Music to your ears



Music is so integral to the well being of my soul that I can’t imagine life without it. There is something special about lyrics laced with instruments that make my skin tingle. It has always been that way for me, always been more than just a song, more than just words on a page. Occasionally an instrumental piece (like Star Wars type) or even an a-cappella tune can send chills down my spine (you’re now humming Death Star music aren’t you?).

Mostly it’s the thoughtful collection of words and notes that tear at the very center of who I am. There must be others who feel the same, because otherwise such amazing music would have never been created. Music can literally move you when you are in tune with what you are hearing and feeling. Music becomes a part of you; it breathes inside of you.

Music is also relative. Everything we go through in this life has found its way into lyrics at some point. Our attachment is usually based on where we are at any given moment. Every emotion known to man can be found on a page of sheet music which is why we attach songs to memories and specific points in time. An example for me would be the song ‘Summer of 69’ by Bryan Adams. That song was a huge hit the summer I turned 16. It had come out just months before and everyone was singing it. I can still remember camping with my family and meeting a girl and holding hands while that song played; those were good times.

On the opposite end of that spectrum, there are certain songs I hear that make my heart heavy for many reasons. Each of us has events in our lives that appear to have a theme song behind them. Instance after instance pops into my head, especially of those tough times when the world seemed to be against me. There was always a song or two that embodied my perspective at that moment. Remember Richard Marx? I’ve tried to sear those songs out of my head too, it’s OK, but that guy knew exactly what I was going through; several times.

Songs can be backdrops for motivation (think Rocky), inspiration (think Chariots of Fire), relaxation (Enya) and reflection (Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu). This is a mere smattering of the range of emotions that music touches and in fact, just a tiny measure of the different genres you will find. Try exploring new music and you will find a plethora of choices you may have never heard of. I for one am not a big country music fan, but I hear that if you play it backwards you get everything you ever lost, back. The heart of rock and roll is still beating, however, so I tend to listen to it a lot.

Take the time to listen to each song you hear, there’s a story to every one. Listen for the emotion and soon you will do more than just hear it, you will feel it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post because I too have music as part of my very soul. I think we can all remember times in our life by what music added joy, music that understood the very pain of the moment (for me, the Hurt & the Healer by Mercy Me, coming out the week my dad passed away. "Even though a part of me had died" was in my heart so deep I couldn't breathe just hearing the lyrics. Thanks for reminding me of what a gift music is and that we have ears to enjoy. Vicky