Saturday, June 29, 2013

Renewal

Renewal is coming and it feels good. For the past 3 days I have taken my lunch break in the same spot and have simply sat in silence and enjoyed the presence of God around me. The quiet time has been so energizing for my soul and I recognize this need in me now as something that can only be filled by spending time alone with God and with my thoughts. Hopefully in the future I will understand this need sooner, before I get as distraught as I had found myself this last time.

To me it seems natural that we all need a break now and then. We choose to take vacations or days off of work. Children commonly take the summer off of school to recharge for the coming year. It is a normal occurrence to find ways to recharge but for some reason, even though I have outlets to recharge myself and I have taken a vacation recently, my soul was burdened, not my body. Physically I was just fine and in fact, I am in peak shape and condition, but my soul was tired; even my heart was heavy from what I perceived was some much needed conversation. But the conversation I thought I needed was with someone down here. As it turned out, what I really needed was some one on one time with God.

Philippians 3:12-14 has been such a summation for me this past week, especially after our amazing prayer service on Monday. During the service, it occurred to me how truly blessed I really am in this life. I have certainly seen my ups and downs but as I sat there praying for those in attendance, including and especially a young man that attends our church, I was struck with one simple truth that has carried me, and that is that God can be seen in my life, let there be no doubt! I cried several times that night and in each case they were tears of joy and wonderment as I acknowledged God in my life and the lives around me. I love what God is doing to me and through me and Paul's words mean so much...

"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward - to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back."

As a runner, I love Paul's metaphors about running the good race and so forth. I often try and imagine that Paul was a runner and would jog between cities. I know this is most likely not the case, based on what I know about Paul, but his inferences about running are common so who knows, maybe he liked to run. I, however, love to run, and I view my ability as a gift from God. Part of this renewal has been my return to running after my injury that I incurred this past winter. Being patient through that trial was not easy but God brought me out of that season so I might find Him in this next one.

As this renewal of my soul takes place, I pray that God uses me as a source of strength for others who are in the midst of a trial, especially one like I found myself in. The soul does indeed get tired, the heart does indeed need to be recharged. Physical strength is great but it does nothing for a soul in need of renewal. Listen closely for those times and react by seeking little pieces of quiet amidst the noise of life, your soul will thank you.

No comments: