Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I like food



Think of that one thing you really like to do. You know, like running, or shopping, or driving your car really fast down the hill into Prineville. I like those things too but what really gets me is food. I like to eat. No really, I really like to eat. More than just the necessary eating too, you know the kind where you put food in your mouth for sustenance because it’s what you need to survive? This is more like Imelda Marcos and her obsession with shoes. If you need to Google that, I can wait. Go check that out and come back, I’ll be here, waiting.

Glad you made it back. During the downtime I got hungry so I fixed myself a snack. It happens all the time and I find myself snacking a lot. But what I really crave is trying all different types of food. I love eating at different restaurants; although I certainly haunt my favorites, just ask the fine people over at Smith Rock Brewing, or Madeline’s, or Baldy’s, etc. Food to me is more than just this thing I ingest. I like to think of it as a hobby, or maybe a sick obsession. I’m not sure which but I will keep you posted.

Did you read that part about how Imelda’s shoes have been destroyed over the years by storms and termites? Sheer craziness I tell you. At one point, the woman had more than 3,000 pairs of shoes and had to leave a huge portion of them behind in 1986 when she and her husband fled the Philippines. This is a warning for all of us. Whatever you do, don’t hoard shoes. Also, don’t hoard food; eat it and enjoy it, especially with others. While it’s true that I really like food, I really really like eating food with friends and family, especially good food. There’s something special about eating good food with good friends. It actually dispels the notion that you can’t please all the people all the time. In those moments, everyone is happy.

The truth is, food makes me happy, or at least most of the time it does. I’m still on the fence about Brussels Sprout, you can keep all the coconut, and mixing peaches with shredded cheddar cheese and Miracle Whip is wrong. Seriously, stop trying to convince me, it’s messed up. However, after that short list of inanity, if you offer me food I will probably eat it. If you hint at food and make the mistake of letting me know where it is, I will probably eat it. If I know it’s there, and you know it’s there but you don’t want me to get into it and then you go in the other room, I will probably eat it. If there is good food to be had, you will surely find me ready to help make it go away.

Basically, life is too short to eat bad food. You won’t catch me at a fast food restaurant, but instead you will find me at nearly every sit down place in town. I love getting to know the people who work at each place, getting to know their menu and what they do differently from everyone else. Every restaurant does at least one thing to set itself apart from the others. All it takes is a visit to discover the value of a given eatery and I could impart about nearly every joint in town but I’d like to think you would rather do that on your own. Besides, I can’t chew your food for you, and, well, ew.

No comments: