Saturday, April 18, 2009

angst

Why the angst? Why do I get so riled up when someone disagrees with a specific philosophy or political view of mine? Who knows, but it’s driving me nuts. I need a better creative outlet; I don’t get to this often enough.

It would be one thing if the disagreements were only about one subject but unfortunately there are several. I have made if fairly clear how I feel about war but there are other things I am passionate about as well, I just don’t talk about them publicly as much.

For instance, I see huge problems with self righteousness, but I don’t want to come off the same by saying anything, so I clam up. I also battle right wing fundamentalism in the church and how it’s one way or the highway for so many whose primary form of religion is some windbag on AM radio, who doesn’t care one iota about your relationship with Christ.

Another huge problem I have is Americanism. That term is broad so let me narrow down my beef. In America there are a great percentage of people who expect certain rights, regardless of whether or not they know what they are, why we have them, how we came about getting them or the specifics by which they are written. As Americans we are entitled to certain rights as citizens. One particular thing that irks me to no end is that quite a few so called Christians that I know are more concerned with their American rights than their Christian rights.

I have written about this before but today it seems different. In light of the recent tea bag parties it seems apt to discuss this again. Certain Americans have forgotten what they are fighting for and have decided that if they just “fight” then something good will come of it. If we complain loud enough about something, we will get some new magical right.

The absurdity of this boggles my mind as I read the Bible and then try and transfer that data to my daily life. I am reminded of so many things that I need to be doing in this life but the number one thing is to put Him first and not in any other place. God comes first, not after the bill of rights.

I have to honestly say that my citizenship of this country means far less today than it ever has, especially when I consider who my fellow citizens are and who they continually paint themselves to be. If your faith comes first, if your love of God comes first, then you will be compelled to live a different life; one for others and not for yourself. You will find that the most important right you have is the right to follow Jesus. You will find that the greatest freedom you have is your freedom to live for Him.

Think carefully about what it means to be an American. Would you give up your gun for Him? Would you lay down your freedom of religion to follow Him? Priorities are the key here and right now I am hearing some very backward priorities from people who claim to love Christ. It’s time to check yourself.

Most importantly, it’s time to check in with Him and be reminded of which kingdom you are really a part of.

My life is not mine, and yet it is mine to live for Him. Peace to you all.

D

No comments: