Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Reflecting on 50

The number “fifty”, and therefore the word itself, has many connotations. If asked to list out prominent associations with the number 50, one might think of the golden wedding anniversary, which is indeed significant. Another representation of 50 may be in percentages, which is to say that 50 is half of something. There are many significant ways we use 50/50 as a ratio all the time. As you read this, you have certainly come up with other examples of how the number 50 can be seen as a popular number. For me, it has special meaning for a variety of reasons. Let me explain.

As aforementioned, 50 years of marriage is one way we are familiar with this number. Both sets of my grandparents were married for more than 50 years. One set made it 68 before my grandfather, on my mother’s side, passed. For me, marriage is a big deal. Enough so that I am convinced that God is calling my wife and I to serve married couples as long as we live. I will be 78 years old when my wife and I celebrate 50. I am looking forward to the next 30 years, and more, with my bride.

Long before 50 years of marriage becomes a reality for me, there are a couple of other significant mentions of this well loved number. This past summer has seen the completion of two 50K trail-running races. After having failed in 2 previous attempts back in 2014 to run this distance, I not only succeeded for the first time in July, but finished my second just 7 weeks after the first. Both of those accomplishments felt good, because I have begun to get a hold of what God has given me regarding this talent to run long distances.

After completing these two races, I began to set my sights on another 50, but this time a 50 miler, not a 50K. In the world of ultra-running, this is the next logical step forward. Running 50 miles is beyond imaginable for many, but for me it is just a stepping stone on my way to going longer. My first 50 miler is in my backyard, literally. I will have the pleasure of racing 50 miles up at Smith Rock, among friends and family. It is something I am looking forward to with much excitement.

50 as a number is certainly significant in regards to running, but it is also occupying a small piece of my brain in one other area, and that is age. I am just 20 months shy of turning the silver corner, and with it, allowing contemplation to play its part. Many people say that age is just a number and I am hardly one to argue. Others say that you are only as old as you feel. Depending on the day and the amount of miles I have run, there are some days I feel like 20 and others I feel like 80, but I am blessed beyond measure for the ability to even think about what I can do at my age, when so many others cannot.

The implications of 50 have never meant that much to me until this year, when suddenly I became aware of it like never before. Like the distance, I don’t dread the age, but look forward to it, recognizing it is one more thing to accept and embrace. If running 50 miles is as easy as I think it is, turning 50 should be a piece of cake.

No comments: